U.S. History in Film

Prof. McClurken’s HIST 329 — Fall 2008

Dr. M’s “A Long Walk Home”

Dr. McClurken likes A Long Walk Home because it has a sense of the period that it depicts, the early Civil Rights movement with the Montgomery bus boycott. It shows the lives of a middle-class white housewife and her black maid. He agrees with me that Miriam’s part in the carpool troubling because although some women drove their maids to and from home, most would not involve themselves in the carpool.  My question to Dr. McClurken is what is his reasoning? (I don’t have any reasoning in my notes)

As for his view on believing that whites reevaluated their views on race, I believe that it’s likely that it was more of the younger people that changed their views on race.  I see some white women changing their views to spite their husbands and families because they saw that they had little power outside the house and they believe that they know blacks better through their interactions with black domestic workers. White men didn’t need to view the blacks positively since they were the powerful group, ruling over everybody else. Even the younger men didn’t need to, as shown in the scene where Selma got on the bus during the boycott and was harassed; however the younger a person is, the more likely their views can change, so even men could’ve change their minds if they went through some sort of experience or revelation.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.